Monday, May 22, 2017

Geraniums!

Geraniums in watercolor pencils (left), and watercolor paints (right). Inspiration from
"Garden Blooms" on Etsy.

Every time I see geraniums I remember my childhood, especially the walks to and from kindergarten and early elementary school in the city of Cordoba, Argentina. I had this weakness for flowers... I'd cut them by hand (from people's gardens, without permission!) and then give them to my mom when I got home. But, as you may imagine, one day I got caught and that stopped my weakness (at least the "without permission" part of it). This one old lady saw me from behind her window when I was cutting one of her geraniums from her front yard. She knocked on the glass so loudly I just opened my eyes really wide, dropped the flower on the sidewalk and started running as fast as I could. I'm pretty sure I'll never forget what I felt that afternoon. I think it was on that day that my mom taught me to ask the home owners for a flower or two every once in a while. To my surprise, all of them were always more than happy to share their blooms with me!

The other day I came along this beautiful watercolor painting on Pinterest that led me to this gorgeous Etsy shop called Garden Blooms. It's a pity the name of the painter isn't there, but she sure paints beautiful flowers. She inspired me to copy her geraniums so I become more familiar with using watercolor pencils and paints. I made the same painting using these two mediums. 

Cada vez que veo geranios me acuerdo de mi infancia, especialmente de las caminatas desde la escuela a mi casa cuando estaba en el jardin de infantes o los primeros grados de la escuela primaria en la ciudad de Cordoba, Argentina. Yo tenia una debilidad seria por las flores ajenas... me acuerdo que las cortaba con la mano (sin permiso!) y despues se las daba a mi mama cuando llegaba a casa. Pero, como se imaginaran, un dia me vieron hacer esto y eso paro mi debilidad (al menos lo de "no pedir permiso"). Una viejita me vio desde detras de su ventana cuando yo estaba cortando unos geranios de su jardin. Golpeo la ventana tan fuerte que lo unico que pude hacer fue abrir los ojos super grandes, tirar la flor en la vereda y largarme a correr con todas mis fuerzas. Estoy segura de que nunca voy a olvidar lo que senti esa tarde. Creo que fue ese dia que mi mama me enseno a pedir permiso a los duenos de casa para cortar una que otra florcita de vez en cuando. Me sorprendio ver que siempre que pedia permiso, la gente estaba mas que dispuesta a compartir sus flores conmigo!

El otro dia me encontre con esta hermosa pintura de acuarelas de unos geranios en Pinterest que me llevo a este shop hermoso en Etsy.com llamado Garden Blooms. Es una lastima que no tenga el nombre de la artista, porque sus pinturas son hermosas. Ella me inspiro a copiar sus geranios para familiarizarme mas con la tecnica de los lapices y las pinturas de acuarela. Pinte la misma imagen usando estos dos medios (lapices y pinturas).




After coloring all the areas I wanted to cover with the watercolor pencils, I painted them with water and the picture came to life! What a fun process. But I still don't think I know what I'm doing... some areas didn't become as dark as I had hoped them to be, so I went back with the pencils and added more pigment to them, only to find out the water wouldn't dissolve the color on the second try. When I produced the same painting with the watercolor paints, the process wasn't only waaaay faster, it also turned out as dark as I had hoped without much effort. I'll keep playing with those pencils and see if I learn to understand them better :) 

Despues de colorear todas las areas que queria con los lapices de acuarela, las pinte con agua y la imagen se lleno de vida! Que proceso mas diverdido, la verdad. Pero todavia pienso que no tengo idea de lo que estoy haciendo... algunas areas no se oscurecieron tanto como yo queria, entonces volvi a repasarlas con los lapices, solo para darme cuenta de que los colores no se disolvian con el agua en el segundo intento. Cuando cree la misma imagen directamente con las pinturas de acuarela, el proceso fue mucho mas rapido y los colores se ven mas intensos sin tanto esfuerzo. Voy a seguir experimentando con esos lapices y ver si aprendo a entenderlos mejor :)

Gerariums with watercolor pencils (left) and watercolor paints (right). Inspiration from "Garden Blooms" on Etsy.com.
Have a wonderful week! Que tengan una hermosa semana!

Candela :)



No comments:

Post a Comment