Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Work in Progress: Barrio La Boca, Buenos Aires, Argentina (La Boca Neighborhood)

La Boca- Buenos Aires by Juergen Weiss.

One of my dreams is to have a house full of art made by us, that is meaningful to us. My husband started exploring photography not very long ago and is quickly learning to take beautiful pictures. My favorite ones are those of our children, or of him playing with them, or of the simple moments that make up our days and years as a family. We already have displayed several of his pictures and I'm planning on printing a bunch more and hanging them up all over. Now, when it comes to my paintings... oh, I wish I were getting better as quickly as my husband's photography sense! But I think that, deep inside, I actually am. I used to paint things that really didn't matter much to me, and in that sense, I think I've become a lot more thoughtful. I try to paint images that mean something to me. 

Uno de mis suenos es tener una casa llena de arte hecho por mi familia que tiene un significado especial para nosotros. Mi esposo comenzo a explorar la fotografia no hace mucho y esta aprenediendo rapidamente a sacar unas fotos hermosas. Mis favoritas son aquellas de nuestros hijos, o de el jugando con ellos, o de los simples momentos que componen nuestros dias y anios juntos como familia. Ya hemos colgado muchas fotos suyas y planeo imprimir y colgar muchas mas por toda la casa. Ahora, en cuanto a mis pinturas... oh, como me gustaria poder decir que estan mejorando tan rapidamente como el sentido fotografico de mi esposo. Pero, en realidad, cuando me pongo a pensar objetivamente, creo que si lo estoy logrando. Yo solia pintar cosas que en realidad no tenian mucho significado para mi y, en ese sentido, he mejorado. Ahora trato de pintar arte que encierra un significado personal.

And this is where the photography shown above comes to play. This is a picture of the famous "La Boca" neighborhood in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I am from Argentina. I grew up and learned a whole bunch of valuable and wonderful things while I lived there. My whole family is still there and I truly appreciate my heritage. So, for a looooong time I've been looking for fun, colorful images of my country and this one easily won my heart!!!! This neighborhood represents a lot of the passion Argentines feel for both tango and soccer. Even though I've never actually been in La Boca (my brother has, though!) I've seen countless pictures of it growing up and always thought whoever chose the paint colors for the walls must be someone with a terrific sense of humor! So, I started working on it. Let me show you some progress. 

Y por esa misma razon puse la foto del Barrio La Boca, en Buenos Aires, Argentina, al principio de este post. Yo soy argentina. Creci y aprendi muchisimas cosas maravillosas y valiosas mientras vivi alli. Toda mi familia continua viviendo alli y sinceramente aprecio mis raices. Entonces, hace un montoooon que vengo buscando una imagen divertida y colorida de mi pais y esta se gano mi corazon el instante en que la vi!!! Este barrio representa la pasion que sienten los argentinos por el futbol y el tango. Y aunque nunca he estado alli en persona (mi hermano si!!), toda mi vida he visto fotos de este lugar. Siempre pense que quien sea que haya elegido los colores de pintura de las paredes tiene un sentido del humor excelente! Asi que, comence a trabajar en esta pintura. Les muestro un poquito de progreso.
 





About this picture... well, you can't really see any progress here, but I just needed to share with you all the excitement of opening my very first LARGE tube of white paint ever! Look at my hand and the size of that tube. I felt unstoppable!!!

 Y esta foto no muestra mucho progreso, pero tenia que compartir con ustedes mi alegria al abrir un pomo de pintura de este tamano. Es mi primer pomo asi de grande! Miren mi mano al lado del pomo. Me senti imparable!!!


And this is as far as I've gotten on it. I'm waaaaay excited about the potential of this painting! When I finish it I'll have it up in the entryway of my house. I'll show you more of what it looks like next week when (hopefully) I finish it!

Y bueno, hasta aqui he llegado. Estoy re contenta con el potencial de esta pintura. Cuando la termine, la voy a colgar en la entrada de mi casa. Les voy a mostrar mas progreso cuando (cruzo los dedos) la termine la semana que viene!

May you all enjoy a night of uninterrupted sleep (I wrote that so you'd wish me the same: our little four-month-old princess likes to wake me up around 2 am every night!)

Que todos ustedes gocen de una noche de sueno ininterrumpido (escribi eso asi ustedes me desean lo mismo: nuestra pequena princesa de cuatro meses disfruta de levantarme a las 2 de la manana cada noche!)

Candela :)

4 comments: