Monday, February 10, 2014

Art Museums I Just Visited: MOA at Brigham Young University.

Me at the "Sacred Gifts" exhibit at the MOA, Brigham Young University, Utah (02-2014)
Good afternoon everyone! Sorry for the blog absence these past two weeks. We were in Utah visiting family for my sister-in-law's wedding and just got back. We had a great time and enjoyed their "tropical" weather of 30's and 40's before returning to frigid Madison, WI.

Buenas tardes gente querida! Perdon por mi ausencia del mundo cibernetico estas dos semanas pasadas. Estuvimos en Utah visitando parientes por el casamiento de mi cunada. La pasamos de diez y disfrutamos del clima "tropical" de aquellos lados de unos 2 o 3 grados centigrados casi todos los dias antes de regresar al frio aun mas intenso de Madison, Wisconsin. 

While in Utah I visited two art museums. The MOA at Brigham Young University, and the Springville Museum of Art. What a treat!!! My husband and I went to the first one without our children (thank goodness for loving grandparents who enjoy babysitting while we're there!) and to the second with them. Guess which visit lasted longer? Yep, the first one. But the kids were ok at the Springville museum... they just made it so their dad couldn't see much and I had to rush a bit through the exhibits. The joys of small, constantly exploring, curiously wandering children!

Mientras estuvimos alli, visite dos museos de arte. El de la Universidad Brigham Young, MOA, y el de la ciudad de Springville. Como lo disfrute! Mi esposo y yo fuimos al primero sin nuestros pequenitos (gracias a los abuelos que disfrutan de cuidarlos cuando estamos de visita!) y al segundo con ellos. Adivinen que visita duro mas? Si senores, la primera. Pero en realidad los chicos se portaron bien en Springville, nada mas su papa no pudo ver mucho y yo me tuve que apurar para ver la mayor cantidad de pinturas posible!. Oh, la belleza de tener ninos pequenos...  inclurables exploradores y curiosos deambulantes!

Let me tell you about what I saw at the MOA. Four years ago I went there to see their Carl Bloch exhibit. It was the stuff of dreams. Original art work by this Danish master brought from all over the world temporarily for me to enjoy! I had taken my first painting class by then, but I had never attempted painting people. So I enjoyed the exhibit because it was beautiful and very meaningful for its Christian message.

Les cuento lo que vi en el MOA. Cuatro anos atras fui a este mismo museo a ver la exhibicion del arte de Carl Bloch. Fue una cosa de ensueno! Lo disfrute tanto y me costo creer que habian traido pinturas originales de este maestro danes de todo el mundo por unos meses para que yo (como muchos otros) las disfrutaran! Para ese entonces ya habia tomado mi primer clase de pintura, pero nunca habia tratado de pintar figuras humanas. Como resultado disfrute de la exhibicion  mas que nada porque estuvo hermosa y muy significativa por su mensaje cristiano.

Me at the Carl Bloch exhibit in 2010, MOA, Brigham Young University, Utah.

But this time I enjoyed all that PLUS his realistic and incredibly skilled way of portraying people and emotions.... and skin, and hair, and muscles, and drapery... WOW! I was happily overwhelmed by so many beautiful paintings.

Pero esta vez pude disfrutar de todo eso MAS de poder apreciar su manera realistica e increiblemente virtuosa de representar a personas y sus emociones... y la piel, y el pelo, y los musculos, y la ropa... INCREIBLE! Me senti felizmente abrumada de ver tantas pinturas hermosas.

I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside the exhibit, so here are some copies of my favorites.

Como no se permitian sacar fotos dentro del museo, aca pongo unas copias de mis pinturas favoritas.

Christ Mocked by a Soldier by Carl Bloch. Image via www.carlbloch.com
This painting left me amazed. The fact that Christ is looking at the viewer makes it even more powerful.   You can almost hear what the soldier is thinking and telling him by the way he's grabbing Jesus' hair and mantle. The contrasting expression in both faces, the reflection of light on the different surfaces (skin vs. fabric, metal helmet, lips, eyes). Every detail was so well thought out. That is why he's achieved such levels of realism and expression. Every detail is accounted for. I love it.

Esta pintura me dejo impresionada. El hecho de que Cristo esta mirando al espectador la hace aun mas convincente. Siento que casi puedo escuchar lo que el soldado esta diciendo y pensando al ver la manera en la que agarra el manto y el cabello de Jesus. El contraste en la expresion de ambos rostros, el reflejo de la luz en las distintas superficies (piel, tela, casco metalico, labios, ojos, etc.) El artista presto atencion a todos los detalles. Creo que es por eso que logro un nivel tan exquisito de realismo y expresion. Todos los detalles fueron planeados cuidadosamente. Me encanta!

Gethsemane by Carl Bloch. Image via commons.wikimedia.org
I like this painting because you can tell this is a dark place, but there's light around them. I like the rested poses of their heads and arms... you wouldn't believe it if I told you I have the hardest time drawing a relaxed position like that!!!! (or maybe you would, actually :). I love the tender position of the heads and the message of consolation that it portrays.

Me gusta esta pintura porque se ve que estan en un lugar oscuro, pero hay luz alrededor de Jesus y el angel. Me encantan las poses relajadas de las cabezas y los brazos... no me creerias si te digo que me cuesta UN MONTON dibujar una posicion relajada como esa!!! (o tal vez si me creerias :). Me gusta mucho la posicion de las cabezas y como reflejan un mensaje de consuelo. 

Christ Healing by The Well of Bethesda by Carl Bloch. Image via religiousforums.com

This painting is actually a part of the permanent collection at the MOA. It's huge and profound. When I look at this painting I realize that, at some time or another, and whether I want to accept it or not, I've acted like each one of the characters in it. I've been the one in despair and in need of help, I've been the indifferent, the one who's too busy to care, the one who actually cares and does something about those in need (I have to confess though, I don't act like this character as often as I should!), the one who's just watching and being critical about the act of kindness... I've acted a lot like the characters we see here. That's why I think this can be a very personal and educational painting. It's one of my favorites because of that. 

Esta pintura es parte de la coleccion permanente del MOA. Es inmensa y muy profunda. Cuando miro a esta pintura me doy cuenta de que, en ciertos momentos de mi vida (y aunque no siempre quiera aceptarlo) he actuado como cada uno de los personajes que la forman. He sido la que se ha sentido desesperada y ha necesitado ayuda, la que ha sido indeferente, la que esta demasiado ocupada para interesarse,  la que se preocupa y hace algo al respecto (aunque tengo que confesar que no actuo como esta tan seguido como deberia!), la que solo mira y critica... he actuado como todos los personajes que vemos aca. Por eso creo que esta es una pintura muy personal y educativa. Es una de mis favoritas por esas cualidades. 

In a nutshell, it was a great blessing to be able to see such wonderful and meaningful art. Go see it if you're in Provo, Utah, any time soon! After the exhibit is over, most of the paintings will be returned to their original churches all over the world. I feel sorry for those people who're going to church and don't see their regular paintings there, but I'm grateful they're sharing them with me through a museum so far away from their original homes!

En fin, fue una gran bendicion el poder ver arte tan maravilloso y significativo. Anda a ver la exhibicion si andas por Provo, Utah, en las proximas semanas. Despues de que se termine la exhibicion van a regresar la gran mayoria de las pinturas a las iglesias en donde se muestran permanentemente por todo el mundo. Me siento un poquito mal por aquellas personas que estan yendo a sus iglesias y no ven las pinturas que solian ver a diario, pero estoy agradecida de que las estan compartiendo conmigo a traves de un museo que queda tan lejos de sus hogares originarios.

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed seeing some of Carl Bloch's art today! Gracias por leer y espero que hayas disfrutado de ver un poquito del arte de Carl Bloch hoy!

Candela





2 comments:

  1. Pato and I loved the exhibit. It makes me want to go back! Glad you got to go and take a break Cande!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the stuff of dreams!! And it was nice to go see it with the hubby :) If you haven't gone to the museum in Springville yet, they're having an exhibit with James Christensen's art (and his daughters' as well) and it's really fun. You both will love it!

      Delete